Health > Senior Health > Kidney Stone
Kidney stones are usually made of a substance called calcium oxalate, but the stones may also be made of uric acid or cystine. Once you have developed a stone, your options are:
- To pass the stone when you urinate
- To have it surgically removed
- To have it dissolved with medication
- To have it broken up through a special procedure using high-energy shock waves (extra-corporeal shock wave lithotripsy or ESWL)
Avoid Kidney Stone in lifetime!
- Drink plenty of water! Aim for at least 2 L of water daily. If you are exercising, you'll need to drink extra, as your body will lose some fluid through perspiration and therefore this fluid will not pass through your kidneys.
- Keep a healthy body weight. Recent studies show that weight gain and obesity increase your risk of forming a kidney stone.
- Consume a diet that has normal dietary amounts of calcium and is low in salt and animal protein.
- If you've had kidney stones in the past, you may need to avoid or restrict certain foods in your diet (e.g., foods that are high in oxalate such as organ meats or chocolate). Your doctor can advise you on this.
- If you still develop kidney stones despite dietary and lifestyle changes, you may need to start taking medications as recommended by your doctor.
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about whether one of your medications may be increasing your risk of kidney stones.
- Keep control of your blood sugar levels with the help of your doctor or pharmacist.