Health > Home Remedies >Sunburn
Home remedies for Sunburn
Our skin has a protective pigment called melanin that protects it from the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. If the exposure of the skin to the rays exceeds the ability of the melanin protection, sunburn will occur. Sun's radiation include ultraviolet rays along with other rays. There are two types of ultraviolet rays, ultra-violet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB).
Both the ultraviolet rays are invisible to the eyes and are harmful to the skin, damage our skin and cause many skin problems and diseases like skin cancer. The reflected UV rays from the water, metal, snow, or sand become more intense.
1. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
2. Apply cold water pads on the burn. Cold compresses dipped in a solution of some vinegar, ice and water is very beneficial to take the heat out and to cure sunburns.
3. Apply some mashed tomato mixed with crushed ice on the affected area to treat and get instant relief.
4. Apply a mixture of 2 teaspoon tomato juice and 4 tablespoon buttermilk. Leave for 1/2 an hour and then wash off.
5. A thin paste of sandalwood applied to the sunburn area is beneficial.
6. Apply a mixture of 2 teaspoon olive oil and 2 teaspoon vinegar. Leave for 1/2 an hour and then wash off.
7. Take vitamin E supplements to reduce itching and speeding up healing of sunburns.
8. Put preparation H (available from pharmacies) very lightly on the sunburned skin. It will prevent the skin from peeling, and reduce burning and swelling.
9. Slowly rub slices of fresh cold cucumber over the burns.
10. Apply the pulp of a stalk of live Aloe Vera over the sunburned area. The aloe vera contains aloectin B, an immune system stimulant, that penetrates into all the three layers of the skin. You can also use the Aloe Vera gel. Note that aloe vera alone will not prevent peeling.
Take a leaf of aloe vera plant, slit it open at its end, and rub the inside over the burn.
11. Add some baking soda to cold water and apply. It reduces the burning effect immediately.
12. Apply a paste of barley, turmeric and yogurt in equal proportions for the treatment of sunburn.
13. Soak some tea bags in hot water. Take out the bags, let them cool. When they are still warm, place them over the affected area for 1 hour. This is good for for the treatment of pain.
14. Apply a paste of yogurt with barley and turmeric to affected areas for the treatment of sunburn.
15. Apply some drops of lavender essential oil on the burned area and then spread it with a piece of tissue to cure sunburns.
16. Put some vinegar on a cotton ball and rub lightly on the burned area.