Health > Ayurveda > Heart Care
Heart disease is a very common disease affecting people across the world. It is a major health problem for many people. According to medical surveys the most common causes of heart disease are:
- High blood pressure
- High serum cholesterol
However ayurveda adopts a different approach towards achieving good health and stating the cause of certain diseases. The term used by ayurvedic for a heart disease is’Hrudroga’.Ayurveda definitely deals with the cardiovascular diseases. It defines the hridaya or the heart as organ of the body which is responsible for controlling and monitoring emotions and also for blood circulation that keeps an individual alive.
Causes of Heart Problem
Heart problems arise mainly due to improper diet and lifestyle. If you lead a life full of stress and do not maintain a healthy diet then your arteries will become thick and hard which will further result to angio obstruction and angina.
High blood pressure may also result in heart problems. People with high blood pressure have a rough and thick artery walls. The artery walls become thick because the fatty cholesterol gets deposited under the artery lines. Therefore higher the blood pressure, higher will be the fat deposition. This may hamper blood circulation, preventing the blood from flowing easily and leading to blood clot. The blood clotting makes choke the blood supply and result in stroke or heart attack.
Ayurveda, first and most recommends a proper dietary habit. A proper diet can keep away many health disorders. If you maintain a balanced diet then it will help you to:
- Reduce weight
- Reduce the deposition of fatty cholesterol.
- Reduce the problem of high blood pressure.
Ayurveda also recommends a healthy lifestyle, which will prevent heart disease to a great extent.
You can improve your lifestyle in the following ways:
- Quit smoking because cigarette smoking alone increases the risk of heart attack a lot.
- Ayurveda asks us to exercise regularly because exercise improves the body by reducing the excess fats.
- Be calm and composed. Try not to be angry. If you are cool then it helps a lot in checking your high blood pressure.
- Take low calorie vegetarian foods.
- Laughter is the best medicine. It is a relaxation therapy and it helps to overcome stress. It really helps you if you have high blood pressure.
- Avoid drinking coffee. Coffee contains caffeine which may increase the blood pressure level in an individual.
- Love and show affection to everyone. If you do this it will really help in dropping your blood pressure, further reducing the risk of heart problems.
- Practice meditation, yoga and asanas like shavasana.
Other Ayurvedic methods
- Mix garlic with butter milk and drink it twice daily. Garlic is very essential in alleviating heart problems by controlling blood pressure.
- Dip fenugreek in water and keep it over night and chew them in the morning in empty stomach. This will help in reducing cholesterol and fats.
- Terminalia arjuna and jaharmorha are the ayurvedic drugs that help in the cardio vascular treatment.