Health > Stroke > Special care your brain with a healthy diet
Special care your brain with a healthy diet
- Protein and unsaturated fat is especially important for developing brains. Fish, a rich source of both, is sometimes called brain food.
- Like any high-performance machine, the brain needs top quality fuel.
- Your brain needs a well-balanced, low cholesterol, low saturated (animal-fat) diet.
- Timing is significant in nutrition. Studies have demonstrated the importance of a good breakfast.
- Your body converts long strings of amino acids in the protein you eat to individual amino acids that
- your brain converts to the specific proteins it needs.
- Your brain needs vitamins and minerals; they come from your diet.
- Research suggests anti-oxidant vitamins E and C protect the brain.
- Avoid excess food. Reducing calories can help slow age-related brain changes.
- Enjoy caffeine and alcohol in moderation.
- As a general rule, good nutrition for the body is good nutrition for the brain.