Health > First Aid >Electrical shock
The danger from an electrical shock depends on how high the voltage is, how the current traveled through the body, the person's overall health, and how quickly the person is treated.
Call 911 (or your local emergency number) immediately if any of these signs or symptoms occur:
Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
Muscle pain and contractions
Numbness and tingling
While waiting for medical help, follow these steps:
Look first. Don't touch. The person may still be in contact with the electrical source. Touching the person may pass the current through you.
Turn off the source of electricity if possible. If not, move the source away from you and the affected person, using a nonconducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood.
Check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If absent, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) immediately.
Prevent shock. Lay the person down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk, with the legs elevated.
Don't touch the person with your bare hands if he or she is still in contact with the electrical current.
Don't get near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least 20 feet away — much farther if wires are jumping and sparking.
Don't move a person with an electrical injury unless the person is in immediate danger.