Health > Common Health Problems > Headache
Headache is a term used to describe aching or pain that occurs in one or more areas of the head, face, mouth, or neck. Headache can be chronic, recurrent, or occasional. The pain can be mild or severe enough to disrupt daily activities. Headache involves the network of nerve fibers in the tissues, muscles, and blood vessels located in the head and at the base of the skull.
Types of Headaches
Tension headaches are caused by muscular contractions in the head, face and neck regions; possibly due to stress and anxiety as well as tightness in the neck and jaw regions. Also Tension headaches may be caused by a number of different factors interacting with each other; it is therefore recommended that these types of headaches be addressed using a number of approaches, once a diagnosis has been arrived at.
Cluster headaches occurs daily over a period of weeks, sometimes months. They may disappear and then recur during the same season in the following year. This type of headaches is associated with an underlying condition such as cerebrovascular disease, head trauma, infection, tumor, and metabolic disorder such as diabetes, thyroid disease. Head pain also can result from syndromes involving the eyes, ears, neck, teeth, or sinuses. In these cases, the underlying condition must be diagnosed and treated. Also, certain types of medication produce headache as a side effect.
Common causes of headaches are acidity, sleeplessness, fever, mental stress, overwork, nervous weakness, deficiency of oxygen in the blood, reading with insufficient light, reading in a moving vehicles, sitting too close to television
Homeremedy for Headaches
- Peppermint Tea can calm you and ease the pain
- meditate:Imagine the pain flowing out of your head; you may combine this with the deep breathing exercise
- Use a cold pack: the cold can cool your head and numb the pain
- Sleep: get 6-8 hours but don't oversleep because that can cause headaches on its own.
- Try not to skip meals; when blood sugar drops from not eating, the blood vessels of the brain tighten
- Quit smoking and avoid smoke-filled rooms