Health >First Aid >Sun Burn
It is the inflammation of the skin caused by overexposure to the sun. Sunburn is caused by exposure to the ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun.
There are two types of ultraviolet rays, UVA and UVB. UVA rays penetrate the skin more deeply and can cause melanoma in susceptible people. UVB rays, which don't penetrate as deeply, cause sunburn and wrinkles. A variety of remedies applied as lotions, poultices or compresses may also help relieve the effects of sunburn.
1. Make a mixture of ghee and water. Apply this to the site.
2. Dip a cotton pad in cold milk. Apply it for 15-20 minutes and repeat every 2-3 hours.
3. Apply aloe vera to the site. The best is if you can collect a leaf and use the gel inside it.
4. Mix amounts of turmeric (haldi) and sandalwood (chandan) in water. Apply the mixture to the burnt area.
5. Boil lettuce leaves in water. Strain and keep the liquid in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Soak cotton balls with this liquid.